What foods to choose?
Pregnant women with hemorrhoids should have a diet of foods which are easy to digest and move quickly down the colon. Otherwise, constipation could be easily achieved and it will worsen existing hemorrhoids and trigger the formation of new ones. Here is a list of some foods which can give relief from hemorrhoids and can help reduce hemorrhoid bleeding:
1. Dark green leafy vegetables
2. Flax seeds - they are high in 3-omega oils and are high in fiber.
3. Lima and butter beans - these are high in iron which is responsible for building the blood cells. Their daily use is beneficial to pregnant women because of their blood circulation overload.
5. Blackstrap molasses
6. Sweet potatoes - these are excellent body building food. They can provide pregnant women with nutrients they need to strengthen their blood vessels and boost immunity.
7. Onion, ginger and garlic - these three contain substance which fights fibrin. Excess fibrin in the body creates problems - blood congestion and inflammation.
What foods to avoid while treating hemorrhoids during pregnancy?
Generally, pregnant women should avoid eating foods which cause constipation and may worsen the hemorrhoids. These are animal products, coffee, red meat, rice, alcohol, bad fats.
Home treatment of hemorrhoids when pregnant.
Conservative treatment of hemorrhoids is not recommended fro pregnant women. There are several home methods which can alleviate pain, swelling and discomfort in the rectal area during pregnancy. These are:
1. Sitz baths -use plain lukewarm water and soak the rectal area for 15 minutes two or three times daily. Drying of the affected area should be done gently in order not to worsen the affected area by harsh rubbing.
2. Ice packs - they could be applied many times a day to alleviate pain and swelling.
3. Vaseline - it is considered that Vaseline is safe for pregnant women.
4.Pomegranade juice compresses - these could be introduced gently into the rectum or applied on the anus area. They bring quick relief of hemorrhoid symptoms.
5.Wet wipes - using wet wipes for personal hygiene after defecation is recommended.
6.Mixed berry juice - berry juice can do wonders for your hemorrhoidal rectal area. Use juice made of blueberries, blackberries and cherries. Drinking 3 glasses of juice daily is a perfect home solution for eliminating hemorrhoids in pregnant women.